Saturday Tour of Homes
1401 Campbell Street
- Owners & Co-Chairs: Maggie and Richard Carlson
Completed in 1937, the Ridall Mansion at 1401 Campbell St in Williamsport, PA was built for Dr. Paul L. Ridall, a prominent Williamsport physician, and his wife Annabelle Louise. Walter O. Lewis was the architect with the firm of Gordon and Stafford designing the home in the International style. Many of the original architectural and design features of the home remain including the brass front doors, brass stair rails on the circular staircase, brass fireplace and lighting fixtures, flooring and woodworking.
1420 Campbell Street
The Lowry/Bower House
- Owners: Dave and Cathy Bower
- Co-Chairs: Cathy Piccolo Bower and Mary Calistri Geise
- Sponsor: The Calistri family in memory of Ruth Grieco
This brick colonial revival style home was built by Lundy Lumber and Construction Company in 1921 for the Lowry family. Dr Lowry was a local dentist. This home features a traditional center hallway and grand staircase to the second floor with hardwood flooring throughout. The kitchen has been newly updated and opens to the front of the house. The lower level consists of a den, bar, and guest suite with easy access to the back yard and large inground pool.
810 Vallamont Drive
The Lundy/Peace House
- Owners: Tristin & Alivia Peace
- Co-Chair: Valerie Lundy and Jill Confair
Built in 1938 by Lundy Lumber and Construction Company for Jack and Kathryn Lundy. This Georgian style home brings the Philadelphia suburbs to Vallamont. The design was inspired by a home featured in the September 1938 issue of The American Home Magazine. The Lundy family brought the page to life, matching the architectural detail to perfection. Its stylistic exterior boasts original Pennsylvania fieldstone and white clapboard siding. Inside, many of the original design elements remain and bring a simple elegance to the living quarters. Since the Lundy family, the subsequent owners have maintained the 1938 style with interior design influences from the Georgian era. Most recently, the kitchen and bathrooms have been renovated by the current owners with traditional design in mind, incorporating classic features such as checkerboard marble flooring, wainscoting, and crown molding.
915 West Fourth Street
The Eutermarks/Harrar House
- Owners: Fred and Darlene Kellers
- Co-Chairs: Nan Young and Ashley Bogart
The Eutermarks/Harrar House is located in the heart of Williamsport’s Historic District. This 2 story Italianate Villa was built in 1870 for John and Lucy Eutermarks. The home was originally assigned 913 but because of superstition the house number was changed to 915. Of all the homes in The Historic District only two have remained single family homes throughout their existence. The third owner Bob Esposito brought the home back to its original splendor during the forty years that he owned the home with the help of renowned international interior designer Samuel Dornsife. The second-floor alcove has a ceiling painted by the late Marguerite Bierman whose work is on display in many public buildings, churches, and private homes in Williamsport. The fourth and current homeowners, Fred and Darline Kellers purchased the home in 2021 and will continue to care for this wonderful piece of history!
606 Cemetery Street
Pajama Factory Lofts
- Owners: Mark and Suzanne Winkelman
- Chairman: Deb Decker
Step back in history as you enter this 8-building brick complex. Initially built in 1883 for Lycoming Rubber Company which introduced Keds sneakers, these factory buildings have housed numerous other manufacturers including Weldon’s Pajama Company, Lucille Footwear Company, and Cobbler’s Store & Factory. From 1979-2007 it was renamed Raytowne. The current owners Mark and Suzanne Winkelman purchased the factory complex in 2007 and are establishing an exciting and diverse community of emerging artists, businesses, craftspeople, and entrepreneurs from the world at-large. We will be featuring the Winkelman’s loft apartment with its unique industrial, eclectic feel, two AirBnB studio lofts decorated by different artists, and an upper floor loft where Theo Pina has a furniture woodworking studio “Aura King Designs”. Feel free to wander and take in the artistic work lining the hallways throughout the building.
Click Here to see interior photos
151 East Third Street
The John Ryan Brewery
- Owners: Matt and Yvonne Di Rocco
- Chair: Yvonne Di Rocco
- Sponsor: Airmen Mechanical Services
This circa 1886 three-story, French, Second Empire-style house was the home of John R.T. Ryan and Emeline Tinsman Ryan. Ryan was a very accomplished but somehow forgotten local lumberman, entrepreneur, and philanthropist. This home is attached to the former home of Garrett and Margaret Tinsman via an existing second story enclosed walkway. It features Italian marble fireplaces, plaster ceiling medallions, Victorian arches, and a three-story stadium shaped stairway.
454 Pine Street
The City Hall Grand Hotel
- Owners: Tim and Sandra Butters
- Co-Chairs: Sandra Butters
Built in 1893 by Eber Culver, Old City Hall is now renovated into the very unique CITY HALL GRAND HOTEL.
Open showers, separate toilet rooms, sliding doors and custom-made furnishings give each room an industrial look with no two rooms being alike. Beautifully-restored photographs allow each visitor a chance to stroll through Williamsport’s rich history, beginning with our founder, Michael Ross. Each of the twelve new rooms is dedicated to a special piece of our city’s past, remembering the devastating floods, wars, and humble beginnings as well as celebrating the lumber boom, baseball, and those men and women who made Williamsport the city it is today.
This five-story building of yellow brick was added to the National Register of Historic Places on November 7, 1976. For Reservations: cityhallgrandhotel.com.
707 West Fourth Street
The Rowley House
- Owner: Preservation Williamsport
- Chair: Robert (Bob) Kane, museum curator
This 1888 high-end Queen Anne mansion is in an amazing state of preservation. The 13-bedroom home, built by internationally known Edwin A. Rowley, is owned and maintained by “Preservation Williamsport”. The museum has been featured twice in Victorian Homes Magazine. Come see a tour de force of Tiffany quality stain glass windows, a showcase of indigenous wood, original lighting and fireplaces.
Thomas T. Taber Museum
858 West Fourth Street
The Thomas T. Taber Museum of the Lycoming County Historical Society provides a history of the region with information about Native American culture, frontier exploration, the development of the Pennsylvania canal, immigration during the 19th century, and the logging and lumbering era of the nineteenth century. As well, the Taber Museum houses the world-class Larue Shempp Model Train Collection.
James V. Brown Library
19 East Fourth Street (9am-2pm)
12PM – Repasz Band small ensemble will be playing in the Rotunda.
The James V. Brown Library was a gift to the city of Williamsport from James VanDuzee Brown, a prominent citizen who made his fortune in lumber and grain mills and was instrumental in the founding of the Williamsport Municipal Water Authority. The library was designed by Edgar V. Seeler and opened to the public on June 18, 1907. The magnificent Moltz Rotunda Reading Room is of the original structure and contains the stained-glass dome skylight and the more recently installed wrought iron gazebo.
The library will have Victorian-themed books on display, along with a performance by a small ensemble of the Repasz Band at 12pm. Light refreshments will be available. Public restrooms and phone charging stations are available.
Community Arts Center
220 West Fourth Street
The Community Arts Center was born in 1928 as the Capitol Theatre, one of the finest movie palaces in the Comerford Amusement Company chain. The depression, a flood and years of wear left the grand dame tarnished and ripe for the wrecking ball when in 1989, the Pennsylvania College of Technology, the City of Williamsport and the Williamsport-Lycoming Foundation (now FCFP) agreed to buy and restore this downtown jewel. Fully renovated and historically restored, the Capitol reopened in May of 1993 and has provided a cultural heart for this community ever since. Many legendary performers have graced the CAC stage and you can join them as part of our Victorian Christmas celebration.
815 West Fourth Street
The cornerstone for this majestic building was laid in 1928 after a dedicated team of women raised $450,000 for construction in a mere five days. The centerpiece of this 70,000 sq. ft. Georgian-style building is the breath-taking rotunda. Griffins, gold-leaf and vibrant colors highlight this work of art commissioned and created by Marguerite Bierman. Notice the marble thresholds, hand-carved wooden details and the crystal chandeliers adorning the décor. For more than 90 years, women’s lives have been transformed within these extravagant halls. Artisan Holiday Market and Duboistown Garden club will be here.
Sunday Tour of Churches
St. Joseph the Worker – 700 West Fourth Street
Built in 1886 by Amos Wagner on land donated by Peter Herdic, the church was built to service the Irish Catholic community. It is an example of the Romanesque style of architecture, and the sandstone came from the nearby Ralston Quarry. The church has a multi-gabled slate roof and walls with colored belt courses. There are 43 arched stained glass windows. The entryway and entry doors are semi-circular. The bell tower is open with a decorative cornice and patterned stone. The church seats 600 people and features an abundance of marble and gold décor.
City Alliance – 380 West Fourth Street
This landmark church was originally designed and built by Eber Culver in 1854. It has been served by 21 pastors and six interim pastors in three different buildings all on the same corner of ground donated by Peter Herdic. Peter’s wife was a member of the congregation. After being destroyed by floods, the original building was torn down in 1898. The main sanctuary was completed in 1914. The church is an example of the Romanesque style of architecture, with mountain stone quarried from this area. The present church is known for its beautiful sanctuary with the eight stained glass windows depicting Baptist patriarchs. The jewel of all the windows faces West Fourth Street and depicts the baptism of Jesus. Designed in London and built in New York City by Young and Bonawitz in 1914, the windows were taken apart to be transported to Williamsport.
Covenant Central Presbyterian Church – 807 West Fourth Street
Covenant Central Church was completed in 1910, this Richardsonian/Romanesque-style structure is composed of marble and granite, quarried at the Avondale Quarry near Philadelphia. The roof is terracotta tile and copper with thick window lintels. There are large semi-circular arched entries, three doors with stained glass, and many arched, stained-glass windows. The church has an eight-sided dome in the sanctuary, which includes a cross on top made of solid oak with hammered copper overlay.
Christ Community Worship Center – 436 West Fourth Street
Originally Church of the Covenant and more recently St. Paul’s Lutheran Church, this limestone structure has a center spire, bell tower, and steeply pitched roof with stone finials. The windows are pointed and arched. It has the largest expanse of Tiffany stained glass in Northcentral Pennsylvania. Note the arched entryway with decorative insets.
Trinity Episcopal Church – 844 West Fourth Street
Soup Lunch from noon to 2pm, Sunday
Built in 1875 by Culver and Thorn, the church was paid for by Peter Herdic, who donated both the land and the building to the parish. His father-in-law, Judge Maynard, presented the church with a set of Westminster chimes. The church is an example of English-Gothic architecture and contains stone quarried locally from Bald Eagle Mountain.
A soup lunch will be served Sunday from 12 PM–2 PM
Christ Episcopal Church – 426 Mulberry Street
Soup Lunch from noon to 2pm, Sunday
Christ Episcopal Church is the city’s oldest Episcopal church. It was founded in 1841 as the First Episcopal Church of Williamsport and was located on the present site of the New Covenant Church. In 1869, the now standing Christ Church was built and held its first service on Christmas day of that same year. This Norman Gothic structure is appointed with several genuine Tiffany-stained glass windows, encaustic tile work, and many fine examples of brass and woodwork. It is also noted historically for the tenure of the eleventh Rector, The Rev. Dr. John Henry Hopkins, Jr., composer of the beloved hymn “We Three Kings”.
Organ Concert performed by organist Chris Frantz at 1:30pm
Soup Lunch available from noon to 2pm
Victorian Christmas Concert
November 20, 2022 – 1:30pm
Organist – Chris W Frantz
Christ Episcopal Church, Williamsport, PA
Hallelujah Chorus (variation) – Smith, Tune Handel
And there was a Star – Paxton
Gloria IN Excelsis Deo – Kendall
Celebrate Christmas – Hughes
Meditation on Silent Night – Glyncannon, Tune Gruber
The Joyful Morn – Blake
Hark the Herald Angels Sing – Denton, Tune Mendelssohn
Love came down at Christmas – Smith, Tune Gartan
Carol of the Bells – Ukranian
First United Methodist Church
604 Market Street
Concert at 3:30pm, Sunday
Positioned next to Lycoming College, “First Church” was built in the depression-era; finished in
1924. Originally called the First United Evangelical Church, it was not until the late 1960’s that
the name changed to First United Methodist Church. Planning and construction began in 1920,
just prior to the market crash of 1921. During the economic decline, the congregation met to discuss if they would forego preceding with the construction in order to save their finances. Unanimously, they decided to continue construction in faith that their work was important enough to justify the risk. Sparing no expense, the beautiful church is built of North Carolina Mt Airy granite, decorated with a marble fountain, ionic columns, and elegant stained glass windows that were designed, furnished and installed by the C. Day Rudy Company of Harrisburg, PA.
American Rescue Workers Community Church – 25 Ross Street
Concert at 2:30pm & 4:30pm, Sunday
In 1882 St. John’s Reformed Church purchased a lot on the corner of Ross and Packer Streets and erected a handsome Gothic Style church, later dedicated on June 7, 1885. The lot, building, and furniture cost $10,818. In 1976 Immanuel German Lutheran Church and St. John’s Reformed merged and became New Covenant United Church of Christ, later building a new contemporary structure on the corner of W. Third and Basin Streets. The American Rescue Workers purchased the church in 1977 retrofitting it to serve as a homeless shelter for 15 men, a chapel, and administrative offices for their holistic hunger and homelessness prevention programs. After a devastating fire in 2007 that was a result of a malfunctioning wall-mounted heating unit, the sanctuary was completely restored back to its vaulted ceiling with plaster beams and several stained-glass windows. A non-working pipe organ was removed, and some beautiful woodwork was retained to create a contemporary functional platform area with room for a baby grand piano and additional instrumentation. The congregation is made up of ARW’s homeless shelter residents, staff and community members.