and be considerate of homeowners who so kindly open their doors to you. ***
The Rowley House Museum
707 West Fourth Street
Owner: Preservation Williamsport
Chair: Robert (Bob) Kane Jr., Rowley House Museum Curato
Sponsors: In memory of Ruth Grieco
Description: This 1888 high-end Queen Anne mansion is in an amazing state of preservation. The 13-bedroom home, built by internationally known Edwin A. Rowley, is owned and maintained by “Preservation Williamsport”. The museum has been featured twice in Victorian Homes Magazine. Come see a tour de force of Tiffany quality stain glass windows, a showcase of indigenous wood, original lighting and fireplaces. Recent additions to the museum collection include a walnut bedroom suite and vintage accessories donated by the family of Shirley Dieffenbach.
1310 Campbell Street
Co-Chairs: Jenny Broaddus and Anne Macdonald
Sponsors: The Calistri Children in Memory of Ruth Grieco
Description: Grand English Tudor-style home designed and completed in 1920 under the direction of owner L.M. Otto. Featured in American Architecture in 1924, the home boasts 9 bedrooms and 7 baths. Built for the heiress of Iver Johnson Firearms, the company’s emblem owl, can be found carved throughout the home. Outdoor entertaining abounds on four terraces set among English gardens.
1640 Oak Ridge Place
Owners: Drs. Michael and Krista Lazar
Chair: Krista Lazar
Sponsors: Di Salvo’s Restaurant & Lounge, Simply Savor on the Fly, Allison Crane & Rigging, Sticky Elbow
Description: In the early 20th century, the wealthy citizens of Williamsport began to construct opulent homes in Vallamont, far from industrial and commercial operations at the river front and the city center. “Oak Ridge” was built for Seth McCormick and his wife with Carl Cornwall Tallman as architect. This Revival-style house has since been updated; however, the character that the architect envisioned still remains. Note the beautiful hardwood floors, the French Zuber wallpaper and exquisite mahogany paneling.
405 West Fourth Street
Owners: Rick and Sara Mirabito
Co-Chairs: Rick and Sara Mirabito
Sponsors: Robert M. Sides Family Music Center, Albert and Judy Styrcula, Blaise Alexander Family Dealerships, patinaz
Description: This three-story castle-like stone mansion of Richardsonian and Romanesque architecture was designed and built in 1885, by Eber Culver for millionaire Albert DuBois Hermance, founder of the “Hermance Machine Company”. Note the homes superb hand-carved doors, staircase and woodwork made of the highest quality lumber by Giovanni Ferrari. In 1932, the building underwent extensive alterations when it was converted into 11 apartments. Amazingly, all the carvings remain in their original condition.
The Hadley-Lyon House
1024 Packer Street
Owner: Mindee Hadley-Lyon
Co-Chairs: Nan Young and Ashley Bogart
Sponsor: Steve and Pam Wiser, Dave and Cathy (Piccolo) Bower, Steve and Candy Dewar
Description: This early Craftsman Style house was built in 1913, prior to Craftsman era houses and known as an “Overthrow of Eclecticism” associated with Victorian Homes. This style also known as a “bungalow” denotes a specific form reflecting exterior architectural elements such as overhanging gables with exposed rafter tails and support columns that are tapered and wider at the bottom. Built for Dr. Ferdinand H. Weddigen, a Bacteriologist and Pathologist at The Williamsport Hospital and his wife Lou Evenden. The house boasts a “porte-cochere” or covered drive thru area used at that time for carriages and early automobiles. This feature is not common on this style house and rare in Williamsport.
904 Campbell Street
Owners: Hutchinson Companies, LLC
Co-Chairs: Dr. John and Margaret Piper
Sponsors: It’s My Party Store, The Buttery Biscuit, Evergreen Wealth Solutions, Wine & Design
Description: This brick Queen Anne-style building was designed by Architect Thomas P. Lonsdale of Philadelphia and constructed in 1898 by Huffman and Son, a premier builder during this time-period. The Women’s Christian Association funded and managed this project which housed and provided care for children and elderly women. In the 1970’s this building was converted into medical offices and in October 2020 it was purchased by the current owner, a Real Estate Development Company, who is converting it into 32 modern luxury apartments (we will tour one apartment). Significant consideration has been taken not to alter the footprint of the building thus keep the historic value of the exterior intact. The current Williamsport Home will be celebrating its 150th Anniversary in 2022.
411 West Fourth Street
Owners: Gloria Miele, James Wood and Robert Elion
Chair: James Wood and Robert Elion
Sponsors: Susquehanna Community Bank, TurnKey Construction, Inc., The Kiessling Group/Janney Montgomery Scott, LLC.
Description: This majestic brownstone and brick home was built around 1878 for the Ulman family and was designed by Eber Culver. The Inn illustrates late Victorian influences and features beautiful double doors with magnificent beveled, leaded glass opening into an oak-wainscoted hallway and parlors. Note the stained-glass window at the top of the steps, and rounded panes in the turret.
220 West Fourth Street
The Community Arts Center was born in 1928 as the Capitol Theatre, one of the finest movie palaces in the Comerford Amusement Company chain. The depression, a flood and years of wear left the grand dame tarnished and ripe for the wrecking ball when in 1989, the Pennsylvania College of Technology, the City of Williamsport and the Williamsport-Lycoming Foundation (now FCFP) agreed to buy and restore this downtown jewel. Fully renovated and historically restored, the Capitol reopened in May of 1993 and has provided a cultural heart for this community ever since. Many legendary performers have graced the CAC stage and you can join them as part of our Victorian Christmas celebration. Join us for hot chocolate and cookies in the Capitol Lounge. Marvel at the architecture and decorations. Take a tour and mount the stage. https://www.caclive.com
The James V. Brown Library was a gift to the city of Williamsport from James VanDuzee Brown, a prominent citizen who made his fortune in lumber and grain mills and was instrumental in the founding of the Williamsport Municipal Water Authority. The library was designed by Edgar V. Seeler and opened to the public on June 18, 1907. The magnificent Moltz Rotunda Reading Room is of the original structure and contains the stained-glass dome skylight and the more recently installed wrought iron gazebo. The library will have Victorian-themed books on display, along with a presentation about the art featured in the library. Light refreshments will be available. https://jvbrown.edu
The cornerstone for this majestic building was laid in 1928 after a dedicated team of women raised $450,000 for construction in a mere five days. The centerpiece of this 70,000 sq. ft. Georgian-style building is the breath-taking rotunda. Griffins, gold-leaf and vibrant colors highlight this work of art commissioned and created by Marguerite Bierman. Notice the marble thresholds, hand-carved wooden details and the crystal chandeliers adorning the décor. For more than 90 years, women’s lives have been transformed within these extravagant halls. Artisan Holiday Market and Duboistown Garden club (Saturday 9 AM-4 PM and Sunday 11 AM-4 PM).
The Thomas T. Taber Museum
858 West Fourth Street
Description: The Thomas T. Taber Museum of the Lycoming County Historical Society provides a history of the region with information about Native American culture, frontier exploration, the development of the Pennsylvania canal, immigration during the 19th century, and the logging and lumbering era of the nineteenth century. As well, the Taber Museum houses the world-class Larue Shempp Model Train Collection. During the Victorian Christmas House Tour weekend, the museum will feature the amazing artwork of the Bald Eagle Art League in its show The Best of B.E.A.L. Be sure to stop by our Fine & Decorative Arts Gallery to view several works by Victorian Era Artists including Severin Roesen, George Inness, Sarah Haskell, J Wesley Little and Dewing Woodward. https://www.tabermuseum.org
Churches (SUNDAY ONLY)
$10.00 tickets available at Churches and prior to event at Taber Museum (Saturday) & eventbrite):
$5.00 from each ticket sold will go towards United Churches’ charity, which for 2021 will be their Food Pantry Project and Emergency Energy Fund.
City Alliance Church
380 West Fourth Street
Description: This Romanesque-style church was designed and built by Eber Culver on land donated by Peter Herdic around 1860. After being destroyed by floods, the original building was torn down in 1898. A new church was built in 1914. The mountain stone was quarried in this area. Note the Tiffany windows. https://cityalliance.org
Saint Joseph the Worker Church
702 West Fourth Street
Description: Built in 1886 by Amos Wagner on land donated by Peter Herdic, this Romanesque-style church was built to serve the Irish community. The stone came from the nearby town of Ralston. The church seats 600 people and features an abundance of marble and gold décor.
Flute concert at 1 PM. . http://www.sjwparish.com
Covenant Central Presbyterian Church
807 West Fourth Street
Description: Built in 1909, this Richardsonian/Romanesque-style structure is composed of marble and granite, quarried at the Avondale Quarry near Philadelphia. The roof is terracotta tile and copper with thick window lintels. There are large semi-circular arched entries, three doors with stained glass, and many arched, stained glass windows. The church has an eight-sided dome in the sanctuary, which includes a cross on top made of solid oak with hammered copper overlay. Organ concert at 3 PM
Trinity Episcopal Church
844 West Fourth Street
Description: Built in 1875 by Culver and Thorn, the church was paid for by Peter Herdic, who donated both the land and the building to the parish. His father-in-law, Judge Maynard, presented the church with a set of Westminster chimes. The church is an example of English-Gothic architecture and contains stone quarried locally from Bald Eagle Mountain. Wrap, chips & beverage will be served Saturday from 11 AM-2 PM and a soup lunch on Sunday from 12 PM – 3 PM. https://trinity-williamsport.diocpa.org/
436 West Fourth Street
Description: Originally Church of the Covenant, more recently St. Paul’s Lutheran Church and now Christ Community Worship Center, this limestone structure has a center spire, bell tower, and steeply pitched roof with stone finials. The windows are pointed and arched. It has the largest expanse of Tiffany-stained glass in North Central Pennsylvania. Note the arched entryway with decorative insets.
91 Wildwood Blvd.
Description: Founded in 1863, Wildwood Cemetery was started with 50 acres by prominent Williamsport industrialists and lumber barons. Designed by Williamsport native and architect David K. Dean, Wildwood’s original chapel, office and receiving vault will be the focal point of tours and lectures on its history and the many lumber barons buried within its 350+ acres. Built for $12,000 in 1897, the entry structure is made of Pennsylvania white marble laid up in regular coursework, which is rock faced, featuring ornate carvings. The marvelous multi-paneled chapel-stained glass windows are excellent examples of Victorian Decorative Arts by the famed Buffalo-Stained Glass Works, of Buffalo, NY.