The Rowley House Museum
707 West Fourth Street
Owner: Preservation Williamsport
Chair: Robert Kane, Rowley House Curator
Description: This 1888 home was designed by Eber Culver and built on land purchased by Peter Herdic. It is recognized as one of the most outstanding examples of Queen Anne architecture in the state and features extraordinary Tiffany quality stained glass windows which were featured in Victorian Homes Magazine. The cherry and oak woodwork is in excellent condition, and the electric light fixtures are extremely rare. This home was opened to the public as a Victorian House Museum the summer of 2007.
522 West Fourth Street
Co-Chairs: Ruth Grieco and Fred Holland
Florist: Nevill’s Flowers
Sponsors: Airmen Mechanical Services, Albert and Judy Strycula, Keissling Group
Description: This late 1880’s Queen Anne Style Victorian home, designed by Eber Culver was the residence of Hiram Rhodes, the man who first brought the telephone to Williamsport. Among the home’s many features are the stained-glass front doors, the hand carved mahogany wainscoting and winding staircase which dominate the large center hall, solid pecan flooring throughout the first floor, five fireplaces, upstairs bathtub encased in mahogany, ornate gilded bronze hardware, and the most magnificent chandeliers in Williamsport. The gourmet kitchen with its handsome tiles has been featured in Victorian Kitchens & Baths book and Victorian Homes magazine..
848 West Fourth Street
Owners: Trinity Episcopal Church
Chair: Linda Loehr
Sponsors: Genetti Hotel & Suites, Sticky Elbow
Description: This handsome brick two-story Victorian home was built in 1884 as the rectory for Trinity Episcopal Church. The land for the rectory was donated by Judge John Maynard for a cost of $10,000. The house was expanded in 1916 and then suffered flood damage in 1936. It was saved from demolition in the 1980’s when the Rotary Club of Williamsport paid for its restoration under the direction of Dr. Samuel Dornsife, interior decorator internationally regarded as an expert in Victoriana. At that time furnishings and custom-made documentary Victorian wall paper was added. Since then it has housed the Lycoming County Tourist Information Center, the United Way, the Uptown Music Collective and currently Trinity has opened it as the first Oxford House in Williamsport.
The Cox/Douglass House
1400 Walnut Street
Owners: Geoffrey and Megan Douglass
Co-Chairs: Valerie Lundy
Florist: Lady Di’s Floral & Garden Art
Sponsors: Blaise Alexander Family Dealership, Susquehanna Oral & Facial Surgery
Description: This two-story brick Victorian home was built in 1907 on land purchased in 1904 by Michael J. and Mary Cecelia Cox, from the Vallamont Land Company. Cox was a local merchant, owning a shoe shop in downtown Williamsport. The home was converted into a duplex in the late 1930’s and recently restored back into a single-family dwelling by the current homeowners. Note the wide wrap-around front porch with brackets and moldings, the natural woodwork which graces the home’s interior and the Tiffany style windows, especially the original stained-glass Tiffany window.
81 Marshall Court
Owners: Maurice and Mary Jo Bower
Chair: Mary Jo Bower
Florist: Rosemary’s Thyme Floral Design
Sponsor: Jersey Shore State Bank, Chef Hosch & Ann Catering, Rig Maids, Robert M. Sides Family Music Center
Description: This house was built in 1015-2016 by TurnKey Construction and designed by Maurice and Mary Jo Bower. The design is a mix of Post and Beam with a touch of Craftsman/Traditional elements. If you’re a hunting enthusiast you’ll love the game room, featuring a large central fireplace surrounded by hunting mounts. Beautiful tobacco wood flooring runs throughout the 1st floor, while custom cabinets complete the look for the bar and kitchen areas. *Access to this home is ONLY available via the Victorian Christmas trolleys or via a shuttle bus located at Cochran Elementary School parking lot (1500 Cherry Street). NO PRIVATE CARS WILL BE PERMITTED..
The Phillips/Tonkin House: Chateau de Cygne (Swan Castle)
1513 Campbell Street
Owners: Tony and Connie Phillips
Co-Chairs: Nan Young and Ashley Bogart
Florist: Janet’s Floral Creations
Sponsors: Brickyard/Stonehouse Pizza, Wascher Chiropractic Center, The Old Corner Hotel
Description: Built in 1932 as “Campbell Street at end” by Harold L. Tonkin this home was designed by Carl C. Tallman an architect known for custom hillside homes. This twelve-room house began as a quaint French cottage and was showcased in the July 1935 American Architect Magazine. The house features a Waterford c1700 candle-lit chandelier, bow-tied and pegged flooring and European style hand-plastered walls. Especially of interest will be the Phillips’ Victorian era ladies’ sidesaddle and carousel horses.
The Lamade/Reynolds House
830 Vallamont Drive
Owner: Joe and Barbara Reynolds
Chair: Joe and Barbara Reynolds
Florist: Nevill’s Flowers
Sponsors: Wine & Design, Buttery Biscuit, Moon & Raven Public House
Description: This magnificent brick traditional home, situated in the heart of Vallamont, was built by Lundy Homes in 1942. The home features a gracious center hall with a beautiful curving staircase to the second floor. The large living room, with focal fireplace along with stately dining room, sunroom, wood paneled den and remodeled kitchen showcase this home’s quality craftsmanship.
The Community Arts Center
220 West Fourth Street
Description: Baby, it’s cold outside! Stop into the warm and welcoming Community Arts Center in the heart of downtown Williamsport! The holidays are a special time of year for the CAC, with numberous community concerts and gatherings in our historic landmark building. Enjoy a cup of steaming hot chocolate and scrumptious holiday treats in the Capital Lounge before beginning a wonderful behind the scenes tour of our 2,100-seat theatre. We invite all patrons and visitors to stop by and see the beautifully restored art deco lobby housing our enormous and ornate 30 ft. Christmas tree. Spend a little time reminiscing or learning about the remainder of the fabulous 2019-20 performance season!
James V Brown Library
Description: The James V. Brown Library was a gift to the city of Williamsport from James Vanduzee Brown, a prominent citizen who made his fortune in lumber and grain mills, and was instrumental in the founding of the Williamsport Municipal Water Authority. The Library was designed by Edgar V. Seeler and opened to the public on June 18, 1907. The magnificent Moltz Rotunda Reading Room is part of the original structure and contains the stained-glass dome skylight and wrought iron gazebo. On display in the rotunda will be a sampling of the Library’s vintage photo collection. A variety of children’s activities will also be available
Description: This 1928 Georgian-style building is home to the life-saving services of the YWCA. For more than 90 years women’s lives have been transformed within these extravagant halls. Take a moment to view the breath-taking rotunda; appreciate the griffins, gold-leaf, marble, hand-carved wood, bronze and fine-artisan-crafted details, painted by Marguerite Bierman. Artisan Holiday Market and Duboistown Garden Club (Friday & Saturday)..
The Thomas T. Taber Museum
858 West Fourth Street
Description: Join us at the Thomas T. Taber Museum for a journey through time. First, view the culture of the Native Americans who resided here, navigating the Susquehanna River in dugout canoes. Following the colonial settlement, the Pennsylvania Canal System and the railroad greatly advanced the development of the region. The logging and lumbering industry flourished because of these two innovations to transporation. Trains (over 300!) abound in the Larue Shempp Model Train Collection with tow working layouts to delight visitors of all ages.
Christ Episcopal Church
426 Mulberry Street
Description: Christ Church is the city’s oldest Episcopal Church. A parish church was organized in 1841, and the first church building was located on the present site of the New Covenant Church. In 1869, the now standing Christ Church was built with its first service held on Christmas Day. This Victorian Norman-Gothic structure is adorned with stained glass windows, many of which are Tiffany, and a pipe organ.
City Alliance Church
380 West Fourth Street
Description: This Romanesque-style church was designed and built by Eber Culver on land donated by Peter Herdic around 1860. After being destroyed by floods, the original building was torn down in 1898. A new church was built in 1914. The mountain stone was quarried in this area. Note the Tiffany windows. Building tours and music will be offered throughout the day along with snacks and beverages.
Saint Joseph the Worker Church
702 West Fourth Street
Description: Built in 1886 by Amos Wagner on land donated by Peter Herdic, this Romanesque-style church was built to serve the Irish community. The stone came from the nearby town of Ralston. The church seats 600 people and features an abundance of marble and gold décor. 10AM – 3PM. Lunch, beverages and crafts from 9-3 in Monsignor William J. Fleming Parish Center
Covenant Central Presbyterian Church
807 West Fourth Street
Description: Built in 1909, this Richardsonian-Romanesque style structure is composed of marble and granite, quarried at the Avondale Quarry near Philadelphia. The roof is terracotta tile and copper with thick window lintels. There are large semi-circular arched entries, three doors with stained glass, and many arched, stained glass windows. The church has an eight-sided dome in the sanctuary, which includes a cross on top made of solid oak with hammered copper overlay.
Trinity Episcopal Church
844 West Fourth Street
Description: Built in 1875 by Culver and Thorn, the church was paid for by Peter Herdic, who donated both the land and the building to the parish. His father-in-law, Judge Maynard, presented the church with a set of Westminster chimes. The church is an example of English-Gothic architecture and contains stone quarried locally from Bald Eagle Mountain. A Victorian soup lunch will be served from 11am-2pm.
Saving Grace Shelter (formerly Grace United Methodist Church)
324 Campbell Street
Description: This site was originally dedicated in 1880 as Price’s Chapel on land donated by Peter & Encie Herdic. The current brick Gothic-style church was built in 1885, after the chapel was dismantled, and was known as Grace Methodist Episcopal Church. The church originally had a 150-foot steeple, which has since been removed. Inside the sanctuary you will find a Gothic ecclesiastical style with black walnut arches, stained glass windows and ribs. In 2010 after the church’s congregation merged with Pine Street United Methodist church, the building was deeded to the American Rescue Workers’ for a cost of one dollar. Saving Grace Shelter now serves as a home to 24 men, women and children facing a homeless crisis, on any given night.