The Wildwood Cemetery Chapel:
91 Wildwood Blvd.
Description: Founded in 1863, Wildwood Cemetery was started with 50 acres by prominent Williamsport industrialists and lumber barons. Designed by Williamsport native and architect David K. Dean, Wildwood’s original chapel, office and receiving vault will be the focal point of tours and lectures on its history and the many lumber barons buried within its 350+ acres. Built for $12,000 in 1897, the entry structure is made of Pennsylvania white marble laid up in regular coursework, which is rock faced, featuring ornate carvings. The marvelous multi-paneled chapel-stained glass windows are excellent examples of Victorian Decorative Arts by the famed Buffalo-Stained Glass Works, of Buffalo, NY.
102 East Third Street
First Presbyterian Church
Built in 1883 at the corner of Mulberry and East Third Streets, the First Church of Williamsport (as it was then known) has a rising ceiling vault of 35 feet supporting magnificent bejeweled glass windows, some predating Tiffany Studios of New York. The 4-Manual Austin pipe organ was installed in 1925 and will be played during a concert from 2:00 p.m. – 3:00 p.m. In 1995, local artist Marguerite Bierman brought renewal and vibrancy to the sanctuary’s carvings, columns, brackets, and luminous Tiffany Cross.
202 East Third Street
New Covenant United Church of Christ
Sponsor: Servpro, Wmspt. & Mtsv. • Ben & Jerry Kimble
New Covenant United Church of Christ is the only UCC church in Lycoming County and home to the United Churches of Lycoming County. The church site was originally Episcopal and German Lutheran congregations and is now a merged church of Evangelical and Reformed Congregational-UCC. German artifacts including stained glass give a Narthex welcome.
Saving Grace Shelter (formerly Grace United Methodist Church)
324 Campbell Street
Description: This site was originally dedicated in 1880 as Price’s Chapel on land donated by Peter & Encie Herdic. The current brick Gothic-style church was built in 1885, after the chapel was dismantled, and was known as Grace Methodist Episcopal Church. The church originally had a 150-foot steeple, which has since been removed. Inside the sanctuary you will find a Gothic ecclesiastical style with black walnut arches, stained glass windows and ribs. In 2010 after the church’s congregation merged with Pine Street United Methodist church, the building was deeded to the American Rescue Workers’ for a cost of one dollar. Saving Grace Shelter now serves as a home to 24 men, women and children facing a homeless crisis, on any given night. http://www.arwwilliamsport.org/savinggrace
380 West Fourth Street
First Baptist Church/City Alliance Church
This landmark church was originally designed and built by Eber Culver in 1854. It has been served by 21 pastors and six interim pastors in three different buildings all on the same corner of ground donated by Peter Herdic. Peter’s wife was a member of the congregation. After being destroyed by floods, the original building was torn down in 1889. The main sanctuary was completed in 1914. The church is an example of the Romanesque style of architecture, with mountain stone quarried from this area. The present church is known for its beautiful sanctuary with the eight stained glass windows depicting Baptist patriarchs. The jewel of all the windows faces West Fourth Street and depicts the baptism of Jesus. Designed in London and built in New York City by Young and Bonawitz in 1914, the windows were taken apart to be transported to Williamsport.
425 Center Street
Temple Beth Ha Sholom
Temple Beth Ha Sholom was dedicated on September 3, 1904, not long after the end of Queen Victoria’s reign. Approximately once every hour we will be giving a short presentation on the history of Reform Judaism in Williamsport, a tour of the lovely sanctuary including our refurbished stained glass windows, and a brief explanation of fall and winter Jewish holidays and festivals. Light refreshments will be offered. All are welcome.
Christ Episcopal Church
426 Mulberry Street
Christ Church is the city’s oldest Episcopal Church. A parish church was organized in 1841 and the first church building was located on the present site of the New Covenant Church. In 1869, the now standing Christ Church was built with its first service held on Christmas Day. This Victorian Norman-Gothic structure is adorned with stained glass windows many of which are Tiffany, and a pipe organ.
Ongoing sanctuary tours and refreshments will be served.
433 Walnut Street
Shiloh Baptist Church
Shiloh Baptist Church has been a pillar of the Williams- port community for over 135 years. The earliest available records indicate that on June 12, 1879, ten African-American members of the First Baptist Church of Williamsport asked permission to be dismissed from the fellowship of the First Baptist Church to take upon themselves the task of forming a Mission School. Their act marked the beginning of the Shiloh Baptist Church. On May 18, 1881, despite limited capital, the congregation resolved to purchase the property and erected a new church building.
436 West Fourth Street
Christ Community Worship Center
Originally Church of the Covenant and more recently St. Paul’s Lutheran Church, this limestone structure has a center spire, bell tower, and steeply pitched roof with stone finials. The windows are pointed and arched. It has the largest expanse of Tiffany stained glass in Northcentral Pennsylvania. Note the arched entryway with decorative insets.
501 High Street
Sojourner Truth Ministries
527 Park Avenue
Ebenezer Baptist Church
Ebenezer Baptist Church purchased land in 1890 to build its church, dedicating it in 1899. This “Church with a Heart” welcomes newcomers. Lovely stained glass windows include one “Presented by Under Ground Railroad Club.”
700 West Fourth Street
Annunciation Church/St. Joseph the Worker
Built in 1886 by Amos Wagner on land donated by Peter Herdic, the church was built to service the Irish Catholic community. It is an example of the Romanesque style of architecture, and the sandstone came from the nearby Ralston Quarry. The church has a multi-gabled slate roof and walls with colored belt courses. There are 43 arched stained glass windows. The entryway and entry doors are semi-circular. The bell tower is open with a decorative cornice and patterned stone. The center tower was capped when three workers fell to their deaths during construction. The interior has marble altars and Tiffany windows, including “The Accession of Christ” behind the main altar installed in the early 1900s. Note the use of marble and gold. The church seats 1,000 people.
807 West Fourth Street
Covenant Central Presbyterian Church
Covenant Central Church was completed in 1910; built in the Romanesque style using gray Avondale marble with a red tile roof. Of historical interest is the “Christ Window,” the “English Bible Window” and the “Missionary Window,” which were crafted by Frederick S. Lamb, in the studio of J. & R. Lamb of New York, member of the American School of Stained Glass Art. “In its external appearance the structure gives the impression of solidity, cheerful openness, and much dignified beauty in line and color. This, together with its site — one of the most commanding in the city — makes an architectural combination which is eloquent of the leading ideals of modern church life.”
844 West Fourth Street
Trinity Episcopal Church
Built in 1875 by Culver and Thorn, the church was paid for by Peter Herdic, who donated not only the land but also the entire building to Trinity Parish for one dollar as long as the pews remain “forever free.” His father-in-law, Judge Maynard, presented the church with the first set of nine-bell Westminster chimes in America, the same as heard in the Big Ben Tower of London. An example of English Gothic architecture, the church is built with stone quarried from Bald Eagle Mountain at Muncy and brownstone from Hummelstown. Note the pointed arches and windows, steeply pitched colored slate roof, and 265-foot spire. In an 1876 issue of the Parish Dial, the following passage appears concerning the church’s windows: “Words cannot paint the loveliness of these windows. The makers, Aickin and Isaac, Philadelphia, have conscientiously adhered to the true idea of glass staining, which does not consist in painting the various colors upon large sheets of glass, but in leading together separate pieces so as to present a transparent mosaic. The side windows show exquisite geometrical designs..