These photos are copyrighted and property of the photographer.
Please ask permission before using.
Richard Karp rikkisan.com 570.244.7131
The Woodnutt/Wright House
1024 First Avenue
Sponsor: Weichert Realtors Premier, Chris Pardee & Marcy Benson
Owners: Demarr and Gina Wright
Chair: Meg Smith
Florist: Nevill’s Flowers, Rosemary Holmes
Theme: Ladies Dogs
This three-story Victorian home was built in 1906 by Charles Woodnutt for his
personal residence. Woodnutt, a building contractor by occupation, also built the
Williamsport Furniture Co. factory. The front of the house originally faced Glenwood
Ave and was later remodeled into a Colonial Revival style with center hallway
facing First Ave. The house currently features exterior stucco walls with third
floor dormers spaced evenly across the roof. The current owners recently remodeled
this multi-unit home back into a single family dwelling.
The Humes/Hutchinson Tudor
515 Vallamont Drive
Sponsor: Moon & Raven Public House Restaurant
Owners: Gabriel and Rachael Hutchinson
Chair: Nicole Nardi
Florist: Special Occasion Florals, Karen Ruhl
Theme: Nanny Dogs
This elegant frame and stucco Tudor home was built in 1923 by Theodore and
Ethel Miller. Theodore Miller was the president and general manager of the Pompeian Manufacturing Company which made builder’s supplies around the 1920’s.
Striking features include the original leaded glass windows, steep pitched roof and
an original blueprint that was found hidden in the framing of the home. The property
has undergone several renovations completed by the current owners. Sam
Humes, who grew up in this home during the 1940’s, will be available to provide
insight into life in “Vallamont” during this time period.
The Carriage House
1515 Florence Street
Sponsor: McDonald’s Restaurant, Doug and Fran Doherty
Owner: Nan Young
Co-Chairs: Holly Bogart and Ashley Bogart
Florist: Janet’s Floral Creations, Janet Johns
Theme: Horses as Pets
This circa 1878 Carriage House was built to house carriages and horses owned by
renowned Williamsport families Rova, Moltz, Lundy, and Flock. The original estate
house, located on the corner of Grampian and Florence, was burned and since
replaced. In 1980, James Bower restored the carriage house retaining many of the
original features including beams, doors, windows, hayloft and hay drop in the
dining room. Please take note of the stained glass windows depicting “horse and
carriage” with the date of the estate house. These windows were found stashed away
in the property’s garage loft. Be sure to visit the tack shop located behind the home.
The Blair/Daniele House
1317 Market Street
Sponsor: J. B. Gibbons Construction, LLC
Owner: Maria Daniele
Co-Chairs: Rose Daniele Reed
Florist: Nevill’s Flowers, Rosemary Holmes
Theme: Cats as Pets
This Victorian Style “city house,” with its black wrought-iron fence, was built
around 1897 for D. O. Blair as part of the Vallamont planned subdivision, originally
the Packer Farm. Note the wrap around porch with ornate spindles, decorative
bracket trim, scalloped shingles, gables and gray slate roof. This interior features
beautiful hardwood floors, doors, moldings and split single paneled shutters on the
windows. The kitchen has been remodeled with slate floors and artistic cabinetry
while retaining the butler’s pantry. A carriage house still exists behind the home.
The Price/Rudasill House
(Smith Rudasill Interiors & Gifts)
706 Market Street
Sponsor: Ed and Linda Alberts
Owner: Smith Rudasill
Co-Chairs: Nancy Pfeiffer and Janie Matter
Florist: Special Occasion Florals, Karen Ruhl
Theme: Gentlemen’s Dogs
This deceptively modest-sized Federal style home was originally built between 1866 –
1888. In the 1920’s, the home was purchased by Mr. and Mrs. Harry Price, owners of the “New Park Bakery.” During the 1980’s, the home was converted into two apartments and from 1985 to the present serves as the site of “Smith Rudasill Interiors and Gifts” a decorating and design firm, as well as home to the owner. The house is characterized by the
symmetrical windows and graceful interior arches. Note the substantial moldings, the
well-proportioned porch on the home’s south side, and the spacious “park-like” setting.
The John R. T. Ryan House
151 East Third Street
Sponsor: DiSalvo’s Restaurant
Owner: Matt and Yvonne DiRocco
Co-Chairs: Matt Di Rocco and Michael K. Rempel, Architect
This circa 1886 three-story, French, Second Empire-style house was the home of John R.T. Ryan and Emeline Tinsman Ryan. Ryan was a very accomplished but somehow forgotten local lumberman, entrepreneur, and philanthropist. This home is attached to the former home of Garrett and Margaret Tinsman via an existing second story enclosed walkway. It features Italian marble fireplaces, plaster ceiling medallions, Victorian arches, and a three-story stadium shaped stairway. The structure is in pre-restoration condition. Come hear the fascinating history of this home, its original owners, and how it is being saved from the wrecking ball. The Artisan’s Holiday Market will be featured in this home.
James V. Brown Library
19 East Fourth Street
Sponsor: The Sticky Elbow Restaurant
The James V. Brown Library was a gift to the city of Williamsport from James Vanduzee
Brown, a prominent citizen who made his fortune in lumber and grain mills, and
was instrumental in the founding of the Williamsport Municipal Water Authority. The
Library was designed by Edgar V. Seeler, and opened to the public on June 18, 1907.
Entering through the Fourth Street foyer, visitors encounter the marble statues of Ruth and Beatrice Portinari which were part of Brown’s personal collection. The magnificent Moltz Rotunda Reading Room is part of the original structure and contains the stained glass dome skylight and recently installed wrought iron gazebo.
We will be offering a special ‘Puppy Love’ program in the Rotunda from 11 AM – 12 PM
on November 21st. Therapy Dogs from the local chapter of Therapy Dogs International will be in the Rotunda with a selection of books children can read to the dogs. ‘Puppy Love’ is offered every month on the second Monday in the Children’s Room of the Welch Family Wing.
The Historic Genetti Hotel
200 West Fourth Street
Sponsor: Mr. Lynn Womer
The Genetti Hotel was originally named The Lycoming Hotel. On the opening day at
noon, June 21, 1922, Edgar Munson, representing the Board of Directors, raised a large American flag to the flagpole on the roof 192 feet above West Fourth Street. The
Genetti Hotel’s elegant atmosphere has attracted many notable guests. Among the
celebrity guests were Gene Kelly, Rita Hayworth, Carl Sanburg and Bob Dylan. Victorian Christmas tourists are welcome to walk through the historic hotel lobby and take in the beautiful Christmas decorations.
The Shire Building
214 West Fourth Street
Sponsor: Eagle Rock Winery
Owner: The Genetti Hotel
Chair: Kathy Taylor
Theme: American Kennel Club
Throughout the time period between 1873-1991, this building was occupied by shopkeepers of various types most notably cobblers, hair dressers and jewelers. The
building also had apartments sometimes occupied by the owners of the shops or
other residents. The last business listed, before the Genetti Hotel acquired the building, was the jeweler C. A. Shire. Today, the building contains luxurious, newly renovated loft apartments.
The Hermance House
405 West Fourth Street
Sponsors: Cloud 9, Franco’s, Joanna’s Italian Bakery
Owners: Rick and Sara Mirabito
Co-Chairs: Annie Campbell and Sarah Boyer
This three-story, castle-like stone mansion of Richardsonian and Romanesque architecture was designed and built in 1885 by Eber Culver for millionaire Albert DuBois Hermance, founder of the “Hermance Machine Company.” Note the home’s superb hand-carved doors, staircase and woodwork made of the highest quality lumber by Giovanni Ferrari. In 1932, the building was converted into 11 apartments. Amazingly, all of the carvings remain in their original condition.
The Peter Herdic Inn
411 West Fourth Street
Sponsor: Citizens & Northern Bank
Owners: Gloria Miele, James Wood and Robert Elion
Chair: Ruth Grieco
Florist: Lady Di’s Floral & Garden Art, Diane Franklin
Theme: The Pet Steward
This majestic brownstone and brick home was built around 1878 for the Ulman
family and was designed by Eber Culver. The Inn illustrates late Victorian influences
and features double doors with a magnificent beveled, leaded-glass opening into an
oak-wainscoted hallway and parlors. Note the stained glass window at the top of the
steps, and rounded panes in the turret. We are open for tour 11:00AM – 4:00PM
The Rowley House Museum
707 West Fourth Street
Sponsor: Blaise Alexander Family Dealerships
Owner: Preservation Williamsport
Chair: Robert Kane, Rowley House Museum Curator
This circa 1888 three-story brick mansion was designed by Eber Culver for millionaire
Edwin A. Rowley and is one of the most significant Queen Anne Victorian
Houses in Pennsylvania. Only the finest woods were used befitting a residence in the
“lumber capital of the world.” Admire the elaborately carved staircase in the main
entrance hall, the dining room with its built-in buffet, the numerous fireplaces
throughout and Tiffany-quality stained glass windows.
815 West Fourth Street
Sponsors: Chef Hosch and Ann Catering, Inc.
The cornerstone for the majestic home of the YWCA Northcentral
PA was laid in 1928, after a dedicated team of women raised $450,000
for construction in a mere five days. The centerpiece of this 70,000 sq. ft. Georgian-
style building is the breath-taking rotunda. Griffins, gold-leaf and vibrant
colors highlight this work of art commissioned and created by Marguerite Bierman.
Take a moment to notice the marble thresholds, hand-carved wooden details
and crystal chandeliers adorning the decor.
The Thomas T. Taber Museum
Lycoming County Historical Society
858 West Fourth Street
Sponsor: Shamrock Grill and Subs
Remember the childhood thrill of opening Santa’s gift and discovering your
very own toy train? The one you then placed under the Christmas tree each
year? Visitors to the Taber will be welcomed to the holiday exhibit which will
feature toy trains from private collections, a special tribute to the 25th anniversary
of the Will Huffman Toy Train Exhibit. The trains will be displayed among
the artwork of the talented Bald Eagle Art League Shempp Model Train Collection.
Over three hundred trains, many of them rare examples, are housed here.
Two layouts transform even the most reluctant of visitors into a budding railroad
engineer! All ABOARD!
The Munson/Metzger House
870 West Fourth Street
Sponsor: The Old Corner Restaurant
Owners: Edmund C. and Stacey Metzger
Chair: Cindy Bower
Florist: Gstalder’s Landscaping, Peter Gstalder
Theme: Birds as Pets & SPCA
This home was built circa 1884-1885 for Robert H. and Olivia Munson, who in
1892 sold it to his parents Edgar and Lucy Munson for their retirement home.
The Munson/Metzger House is a fine example of Queen Anne style with multiple
building materials including a brick first floor, ceramic tile on the second
floor, pressed tin style painted ceilings, and beautiful woodwork. In addition,
beveled-lead glass windows set-off the main entrance. The slate roof features
three decorative chimneys with ceramic fish scale tiles adorning the main gable.
The front porch was extensively remodeled in 2007-2009 by Edmund Metzger.